With international education booming in New Zealand, each region should be trying to take full advantage of the economic benefits of the inflow of international students. Infometrics can help your region understand how you are performing relative to other regions and if you are indeed getting a fair share of the pie. We are able to prepare a short report which covers the key metrics on international education in your region or provide more in-depth analysis to meet your information needs.
Infometrics at the forefront of international education research
Infometrics Chief Economist, Dr Adolf Stroombergen, developed the first measure of the economic contribution of international education to the New Zealand economy. His work drew on a large scale survey of international students in New Zealand. Using multiplier analysis he was able to measure the impact of student spending on the New Zealand economy.
Measuring international education at regional level
Drawing on Dr Stroombergen’s research, and various other data sources, Infometrics can look at the economic contribution of international education in your region, including:
- the economic contribution of international education to your region’s GDP
- how the economic contribution of international students in your region has changed over the past few years
- how the economic contribution of international students in your region compares to other regions (this can help show markets you are over or under performing in compared to other parts of New Zealand)
- what the biggest contributors to GDP in your region are (e.g., type of tertiary education organisation and broad country of origin of the student).
We can provide more detail for your region than any publicly available source including:
- trends over time
- how international students numbers relate to domestic student numbers
- the types of tertiary education undertaken by international students
- their country of birth
- We can also use immigration New Zealand visa data as an indicator of more recent activity.
Contact us – we can help
We can prepare a standard report which provides the key metrics of the economic contribution of international education to your region. Or we can tailor a report to your specific information needs. If you would like more information please contact Andrew Whiteford at firstname.lastname@example.org or (04) 474-2143.
Enjoyed this article?
You might like to subscribe to our newsletter and receive the latest news from Infometrics in your inbox. It’s free and we won’t ever spam you.